urgh so bad. No way I would have made it through if didn’t have a reputation, but it never got better. Could have been a solid 2 stars if the ending wasn’t so terrible.
- The entire main cast whine all the time, and show no glimmer of wit or grace.
- Individual attributes of environments/characters repeated ad nauseum. I GET IT THE BLIGHT IS HOT AND EVERYWHERE ELSE IS COLD OK.
- Surprise a character is a wolf now I guess? But then never does anything wolf-y? But of course we describe his eyes were yellow his eyes were yellow his eyes were yellow.
- Every couple of chapters seems to remember it’s supposed to include some romantic subplot and and awkward sentence describes an interaction between rand and egwene, rand wishes he was like perrin with girls like perrin with girls like perrin with girls PERRIN NEVER EVEN DOES ANYTHING WITH GIRLS.
- Also wtf was the thing with nyadeve and Lan, came out of nowhere then disappeared as quickly.
- Despite having no spine or reedeming qualities for the entire book, maybe there is finally a hero’s arc at the end? NO! Rand acts as a passive conduit for the light, staying shit scared the entire and not really having anything to do with it.
- There’s a dream sequence like every chapter, and they’re the main connection to the villain in the story who is just … laughably one dimensional? And completely ineffectual? I still maintain the book would be maintained but cutting them … if only because the book would be improved by cutting literally everything.
- Magic system is possibly interesting but we get no real direct exposure/discussion of it.
- Unresolved foreshadowing - the whole thing about his Dad and the Heron’s mark sword? Literally no resolution.
- Surprise we can also teleport?
- It’s just … boring?
Fuck I can’t believe I wasted time on this. Was such a chore to get through the last 10% as I finally realised there was no chance of redemption.